Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: My observations of the Rose Bowl

  1. #1
    Inactive Member imported_mega's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2004
    Posts
    5,094
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    My observations of the Rose Bowl

    I wasnt around to post during the game but I have quite a bit of thoughts on the game about both teams

    1)I always said that USC's defense was horrible this year, I think they proved that. The 2004 USC team could run circles around this 2005 team with guys like Tatupu and Patterson on the field. National Championship teams dont give up 42 points in a game.

    2)Reggie Bush still may be the best player in america, Im not really disputing that, but you see, a team like Texas that actually has talent on defense kept him from getting to the corners and busting the long runs.You could say that Bush had a big game against Notre Dame, but nobody wanted to believe me when I said that while the Irish are good, they had no team speed, they proved that against Ohio State trying to contain Ginn. As good as Bush is, he is still not Gale Sayers, yet he would fit in with the Texans letting Dominic Davis be the LenDale White guy.

    3)USC's offense line is just ridiculous. As much credit as Bush and the rest of the guys deserve, their offensive line deserves more. These guys were 20 yards down the field blocking, it looked almost like post players setting a pick for their point guard. With that being said, Im really amazed that Texas contained him that well because that O line was one of the best ive ever seen.

    4)As Biggin said(and I never argued with him other than to say the kid is a first round pick) Rodrique Wright STINKS. Did he even have a tackle last night? Production has to account for something. I stated USC's oline is terrific, but for a 1st rounder to be non existent doesnt sit well with me.

    4)I think Texas was the better team and I think Leinert could have been a little better sport about it but Texas was more complete and it eventually showed.

    5) I felt like I was watching Cal play USC. Aaron Rodgers always nickel and dimed USC with 6 yard passes, the same thing happend with Young. It was a great gameplan to stay patient, take time off the clock, and sustain drives as long as possible.

    6)Texas's D is real good, not great, but speedy enough to slow probably the greatest offense ever. It was far from an easy task but they forced turnovers and did what they had to do to win, USC didnt really stop anything on defense.

    7)I said before that Vince Young isnt an nfl quarterback, however I may be wrong. I think the jury is still out, he looked terrific against a woeful defense, he is the type thats less likely to get hurt like Mike Vick and he seems more accurate than Vick but when it comes to the nfl, there are a few things I cant evaluate at this point. A)He doesnt play in a pro style offense, B)how good is his arm strength?, C)Can he read a defense?, and D)how accurate is he really? If there is a player that I think is most like Young, I would compare him to Steve McNair. People dont remember the old Air McNair with the blazing speed and the cannon for an arm. McNair has better mechanics but isnt mobile and more and doesnt have the arm strength he once had yet he is still a good quarterback. I think Young might have what it takes to be a good nfl quarterback, but I dont know how well he will pick up the pro style system.

    8)Leinert, drafting this guy just seems like a big risk at putting yourself under the 8 ball for 3-4 years while he develops. Statistically, he had a great game. I still question his arm strength and the thing I see most that others probably dont see is Leinert doesnt make the quickest of decisions. His offensive line can protect him all day long and he has the greatest of weapons. I believe because of that, Leinert is either boom or bust at the pro level. Playing this year for the trojans will be alot easier than playing next year for the saints. Not because of nfl defenses, but because its the saints. I dont think Leinert is their savior.

    Last, I went back and looked on scout.com at who all recruited Vince Young. For whatever reason I didnt know it but Young was headed to Miami until Coker accepted the transfer of Brock Berlin. Young opted for Texas and the rest is history. I think Vince made a good decision, his talent would have been wasted at Miami.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Seventy4's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 22nd, 2005
    Posts
    268
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My observations of the Rose Bowl

    In Bush's defense, he had 13 carries and 6 receptions? Is that all the game plan allowed for the Heisman Trophy winner? I know Texas keyed on him, but once they loosened that defense up, he surely could have gotten something?

    I understand he had a unbelievably dumb bone-head play, but he was trying to do what every media person said USC needed to do and that was put Texas away early.

    And the 4th and 2 with around 2 minutes left, shouldn't Bush have at least been on the field? You know if he was, at least one person would have keyed in on him, instead of the entire front 7 jumping on the run as soon as White got the ball?

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Biggin's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 18th, 2002
    Posts
    9,588
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My observations of the Rose Bowl

    White was in there, because White was averaging almost 7 YPC.

    I dont disgaree with Bush not being in there, White was their offense on the ground.

    [IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/Vic_Fontaine/sig.jpg[/IMG]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Herbie_Husker's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 8th, 2005
    Posts
    259
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My observations of the Rose Bowl

    Bush is fast I agree but White will be a better pro back. White was great for USC but just couldn't get it done.
    Go Huskers!

  5. #5
    Inactive Member imported_mega's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2004
    Posts
    5,094
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My observations of the Rose Bowl

    I dont know if White will be that good in the pro's, especially compared to Bush. Im telling you guys, guys like Latui(sp?) and Justice are monsters. White is good, but there were plenty of holes to run through.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member LPDBlueDevils's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 26th, 2005
    Posts
    629
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My observations of the Rose Bowl

    me and my Uncle were talking over christmas about how dominant USC's O-line is. Last night was a perfect example, except on the two fourth down conversions Texas didn't get much penetration against USC's line. Maybe it was because they were defending against Bush and playing a wide defense, but this O-line has been togeather a long time, they know each others tendancies which makes for a great offensive line. I think White will be a good NFL back, because he is big and has speed, but like any good running back (unless your Barry Sanders) you have to have a good O-line to block for you.
    Great game, and I'm glad Mack Brown finally got his National Championship, I'm already looking forward to next football season.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My observations of the Rose Bowl

    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    dont know if White will be that good in the pro's, especially compared to Bush. Im telling you guys, guys like Latui(sp?) and Justice are monsters. White is good, but there were plenty of holes to run through.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Exactly! When White got his yardage, I could have gotten 3-5 yards on those carries the holes were so large. White does not have as strong of an ability to "create" yardage
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  8. #8
    Inactive Member LPDBlueDevils's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 26th, 2005
    Posts
    629
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My observations of the Rose Bowl

    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Exactly! When White got his yardage, I could have gotten 3-5 yards on those carries the holes were so large. White does not have as strong of an ability to "create" yardage


    [/ QUOTE ]

    I'm gonna open up the flood gates with this one, although I agree USC's offensive line is great, I disagree that he can't "create" yardage. Did anyone else not see that stiff arm he laid on a Texas defender, then went on for about a 20 yard gain. I think he will be a very good NFL back, this is kinda like the Auburn deal, nobody really knew for sure if Cadillac and Ronnie Brown could contribute to the pro level. Cadillac won offensive rookie of the year, and Ronnie Brown is the next savior in Miami. (just kidding, but he is gonna be a good one) White had 24 touchdowns this year, alot of those touchdowns came in the red zone, and I know most of the credit should go to the O-line, but you don't get that amount of touchdowns without being a physical, tackle-breaking running back.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My observations of the Rose Bowl

    I think he would look good in the Black &amp; Gold of the Steelers
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

  10. #10
    Inactive Member greencrest1272's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2004
    Posts
    1,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My observations of the Rose Bowl

    In my opinion, White is the better runningback. You know that you can count on him for 25-30 carries a ball game. He is physical, but he has the quickness and atheltic abiltiy to turn outside as well. Bush doesnt have the phsyical presence as does White which limits his abilities as far as just running the football. 10-15 carries a game is just about all you can expect from Bush.

    On the other hand, I feel that Bush is the better ALL AROUND football player and is more valuable to the team. He might only be good for 10-15 carries, but you want to get him 30+ touches a game with receiving and special teams. With Bush you always have the big play threat be it receiving, running, special teams, etc...
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

    -Teddy Roosevelt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •